Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Suddenly, Japan.

Japan's Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe has surprised even his own voting public by calling a sudden snap election.

Fortunately, this was one of the two countries that had not yet set an election date (the other being Israel) that I've been following. In fact I stumbled upon this, not via the media, but via an update to the wikipedia page.

My last look at Japan happened in this post.

There are no new polls I can find that change much of anything. What I can find suggests the DPJ is up and NKP is down. In addition, this election call is unpopular, so the LDP should lose out a bit to everyone, slightly. Thus if I had to adjust my previous prediction, it would be as follows:

322 - LDP (govt)
108 - DPJ (liberal)
14 - JCP (communist)
13 - NKP (govt coalition partner)
12 - JIP (right-wing, successor to restoration party)
3 - SDP (social democrats)
1 - YPJ (populist)
2 - Others (various others)

This would give Abe the 2/3rds majority he wants in Parliament to pass whatever crazy thing he wants to do that likely triggered this election in the first place. 

The election will take place on Sunday the 14th of December. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Israel will also be going to the polls early; in March.

    ReplyDelete