Saturday, May 11, 2013

Introducing my Summer Project - Canadian Psephos

As we head into Summer 2013, I've been looking for something to do. This is mostly because, barring a provincial election here in Ontario, I suspect we'll see a slow season politically. Sure, there may be a cabinet shuffle or something, but I wanted a grander project to work on given all this free time I know I'll have.

So, what better way to do that than write? But I wondered what exactly I could write about that would take up so much time. I settled pretty quickly on one thing: elections. And which elections should I write about? I thought, well, why not all the elections?

That is where Canadian Psephos comes in. This is a WordPress blog I set up a couple of years back, intended on moving my polling stuff there though I decided against it. Instead it will now become a new blog dedicated to looking at past elections in Canada, federal and provincial. It wouldn't just be about the numbers, but also about the who, the why, and a little bit of the how of what happened during these elections. I plan on going into as much detail as I can without writing a novel for each post - but I will do detailed accounts. I have a pretty extensive library of books and browser bookmarks full of facts to research with, and I don't intend to let them go to waste.

So if you're interested, feel free to visit the site over the summer and catch up on my progress. Right now I've got up a real thriller of an election, Yukon 1985, as a quick example of the format I'll be using - which is someone similar to World Elections' format, a blog you should check out if you have any interest in international politics - but I plan on starting at the beginning in 1867 and moving on from there.

8 comments:

  1. I can build raw data for you if you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean, as in election data?

      Delete
    2. This file is a bit "wonky" lets say as I could never decide if I wanted to do a hindsight-comparison or an at-the-time reporting, and it is out of date, but, like this:

      http://speedy.sh/cFwRs/election-results-2.xlsx

      I can redo/update the file and/or translate it to HTML data for upload on to the website.

      Delete
  2. Can't wait for this! I've often thought that it would be fun to use my format to cover old elections and at times I've wanted to do some posts on old French or international elections in such a way (and I might do so someday). Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man, your stuff was my main inspiration. Not sure I can go into as much detail as you do, but I'll give this a shot for the summer, see where it takes me.

      Delete
    2. I want to do your website without the words :P maps and numbers :P

      Delete
    3. You should, Teddy - you make great maps that are accurate, the latter of which I can't really manage without some difficulty. There's definitely a niche to fill there.

      Delete
    4. You have permission to use any maps on my blog.

      Delete