Monday, August 13, 2012

Can Fat People Serve as Health Minister?

That was the all-consuming question PQ Leader Pauline Marois needed to answer yesterday it seems, replying in the affirmative and saying, "I believe a health minister has a basic duty to set an example. Like, for me, the education minister has a duty to set an example by sending their children to public school."

Wow, is she honestly that naive?

This question somehow came up due to the fact that CAQ candidate GaƩtan Barrette, a physician and I guess touted as Legault's choice for Health Minister should the third party win an election, is overweight. I know, when there is talk of corruption and sovereignty and unemployment, whether or not someone is too big to serve as a Health Minister is also going to be a priority question. Yeah.

But, besides the point that it is incredibly irrelevant, Marois is actually absolutely wrong. The Health Minister doesn't have a "basic duty to set an example," his appearance doesn't matter. What matters is whether he has the career experience (he does), whether he knows about his position (he likely does), and whether he's got the will and the patience to deal with the bureaucratic mess that is a healthcare ministry (that we don't know).

Its not up to Barrette to exude a healthy lifestyle, though its certainly recommended and its always good press. But it is up to Barrette to be competent enough to do his job. Why doesn't Marois attack that aspect? I don't know.

But her example statement, that Education Ministers must send their kids to public schools.... also wrong! A parent has a right to send their child to whatever school system they wish, including the Education Minister. If Marois, who ran that ministry in the past, sent her kids to private school, so the fuck what? As long as she knew what she was doing, had the experience, and actually worked to improve the system, so what if her kids are in private school? That's a stupid reason to rant against anyone's candidacy.

4 comments:

  1. I actually agree with Marois, the health minister should be fit, the education minister should send his kids to public school, and the Premier, as leader of all the people, should be intelligent. Sadly, this rules out Marois.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a more serious note, I actually do agree with half of what she said.

    As Premier, I would not appoint an Education minister that does not trust the Education system to educate his or her own children. I would not appoint a (fat or fit) Health minister who does not use the public healthcare system. By the same token, if I were in city politics, and if I were, say, on the broad of the Toronto Transit Commission, I would not buy a car; or, if I already had one, would not use it. What am I saying by being the "ruler" of the TTC if I don't even trust the TTC to get me around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TTC thing is very stupid. The TTC doesn't go to specific areas, nor is the TTC the best mode of travel. If you want to get some place through the most effective means possible, you need a car. That's just a fact, public transit is a giant slow mess that forces you to go out of your way. I hate public transit in Halton Region for those reasons.

      Delete
    2. What better incentive is there to make things better than when it matters for your own personal living situation.

      Delete