Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Rae Out - Mind Blown

I did not expect this to happen, but Bob Rae, the Liberal Party's interim leader who has been organizing like crazy behind-the-scenes and managed to get the National Executive to release him from his written promise not to run... will not be running for the permanent leadership.

Steve V has a pretty good take on it, one that I mostly agree with - though I don't think this points to some calculation by Rae that Justin Trudeau is going to jump in and he can't win. However he showed major class by bowing out, and pretty much opening up the field for the next Liberal leader to a new generation of leaders - and yes, this can mean Justin Trudeau. This could also mean Dominic LeBlanc, Marc Garneau, Martha Hall Findlay, David Bertschi, Kevin Lamoureux, George Takach... anyone and everyone has a shot now. No holding back, the race is now open. And it's thanks to Bob.

I salute you, Mr. Rae, because you just opened up the Liberal Party to a new world of possibilities. I look forward to seeing you as our continuing interim leader, and a great party elder that helped changed the course of this Party following NDPocalypse.

3 comments:

  1. Rae made the moral and ethical choice and while I'm genuinely shocked, I am very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you would be Teddy, now we can get down to real rivalry. xD

      Delete
  2. To clarify, I think Rae would have to be deaf and dumb not to hear the talk in Ottawa, amongst some of his former supporters, regarding Trudeau. The fact people are looking elsewhere would be contribute to a sense that a run may not go as planned.

    ReplyDelete