Monday, February 20, 2012

At Least One Liberal Ex-MP is Doing Well...

Mike Savage, who narrowly lost re-election to failed NDP leadership candidate Robert Chisholm in the riding of Dartmouth-Cole Harbour back in May 2011, is well on his way to becoming the next mayor of Halifax:
After months of speculation, former Liberal MP from Dartmouth, Mike Savage, recently announced he will run for mayor in the upcoming municipal election this fall. Savage is the preferred candidate by more than a two-to-one margin over incumbent Mayor Peter Kelly, according to the most recent survey conducted by Corporate Research Associates Inc. Currently, Savage garners support from just over one-half (53%) of decided voters, while current mayor Peter Kelly has support from one-quarter (25%) of HRM residents.
The election, as far as I know, is this year. I'm unsure why Kelly is receiving such bad polling - I know there was some tiff with his handling of the Occupy protesters last year - aside from the fact that he's been in office since 2000, and twelve years is a pretty long time to remain unchallenged in politics.

I don't know his politics, though he's apparently been asked to run by the provincial and federal Conservatives, as well as the federal Liberals, so I assume he's centre-to-centre-right. Who knows - I'm not from Halifax. Fill me in on the race if you are.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post I must say.. Simple but yet interesting and engaging.. Keep up the awesome work!

    Liberal Bias 

    ReplyDelete