Thursday, January 6, 2011

Nancy Charest: Will you please do something?

Don't get me wrong when I say this, because I believe former PLQ MNA Nancy Charest is a fantastic candidate and as far as I can tell with my limited French, she is still the Liberal candidate in Haute-Gaspesie, for which there will be an upcoming by-election, and to boot, she's also an active candidate. But, what the hell?

As Pundit's Guide has so kindly pointed out, Charest has zero up-to-date web presence. I knew this before, given the frustrating time I had trying to find information on Mme. Charest, but I didn't realize it was quite so bad. Not even an up-to-date Facebook! No Twitter! My God, she's being outmaneuvered by the Conservatives in social media. That's unacceptable.

Of course, not that having a presence on the web is all that matters. After all, she doesn't seem to have had a presence in a big way back in 2008 either, yet she still came tantalizingly close to winning the riding from the Bloc, one of three ridings outside of Montreal we had a shot in. And while I get that the by-election hasn't been called, the Bloc and the Conservatives are already beefing up their online status. Is it wise to let them gain the upper hand in that? Social media is a big way to let people, and specifically voters, know what you want them to. If the Bloc or the Conservatives are allowed to drive the online narrative, then we're in trouble.

So, will someone from the riding association (and yes, I know you people exist), or from the OLO, 81 Metcalfe, or anyone, please get Mme. Charest's presence online updated? I don't want to see the Liberals lose the riding because we our candidate had two-year old information. I mean jeez, Kevin Lamoureux's website was up pretty much the day after he was nominated! Where's the initiative, folks?

2 comments:

  1. Read down a bit in that post and notice that access to broadband in the riding is a bit of an issue there, and perhaps you'll see why the priorities have been as they were. There wasn't much online activity going on in Dauphin-Swan River-Marquette, either, but that didn't mean they weren't campaigning up there. It was just harder to follow from down here is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that is true, but still, even if it isn't a concern for the local population, 81 Metcalfe (aka those kids at Liberal HQ) should have had something in place, at least something that is updated. It doesn't take a lot of time. Heck, even a news feed would be worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete